Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Best Position Player in the NHL So Far 2005-06

The 2005-06 season is an opportunity for a changing of the guard in the NHL. Its about 18 months since the last NHL games. This leads to aging players who were beginning to show signs of decline in 2004 no longer being among the NHL's top scorers. Younger players who have shown potential and are now entering their mid to late twenties will take their place. The obstruction crackdown is providing a bit more open ice for some smaller players to excel.

So far this season, I argue that the best player has been Roberto Luongo. He was extremely dominant in his first couple games where he had shutouts. Even when he allows a few goals, he still has a saves percentage of .943 which is the best among goalies with more than a couple games played. Among position players, so far this season, I argue that the best player has been Simon Gagne of the Philadelphia Flyers. After five games played (which is less than most players in the NHL) he leads the NHL with seven goals, ten points and a +8 +/- rating. He has clicked with centerman Peter Forsberg immediately.

Gagne has always had potential. Although he has never had a point per game season, he has appeared in an NHL all star game and represented Canada in the Olympics. This is likely going to be his breakthrough season where he truly becomes an NHL star.

Do I think Gagne will lead the NHL in scoring this year? No

Do I think the obstruction crackdown that has helped Gagne will continue all season? No

Do I think Forsberg will get injured at some point which will reduce the number of Gagne goals he sets up? Yes, most likely.

However, I do think that Gagne will be an all star who is likely going to be one of the better players in the NHL this year. Barring some kind of injury, I think this will be his best season to date.

Comments:
You have no idea what your talking about. Please provide some reasoning before you write something that you'll ultimately regret. Gagne will do fine all year and, I agree, Forsberg will most likely have one more problem this season but will still be a force to be dealt with. I'll leave it at that. I am at least matching your reasoning. Care to raise me?
 
I'm sorry. I cannot understand the point you are making.

As far as I can tell you tell me I have no idea what I a talking about - which presumably means you think I am wrong. And then you agree with me for the rest of your comment.

Or am I missing something?
 

The eTA for New Zealand grants its holder multiple entries to the country during its 2-year validity. Holders of the NZeTA are generally allowed to stay in the country for stays of up to 90 days from their date of arrival in New Zealand. Passports must have a minimum validity of at least three (3) months from the expected date of departure from New Zealand.

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?